Tuesday, October 6, 2009

10-3-2009 Saturday - General Conference Weekend

We enjoyed the 179th Semi-Annual General Conference of the LDS Church this weekend. We played Conference Bingo, worked on photo albums, ate, and napped. Our home teacher of 13 years, Brother Moncur, asks each of us every October and April visit, which was our favorite talk. That is always a very difficult question to answer with so many great talks to choose from our church leaders. But this time I can easily pick that it was Elder Jeffrey R. Holland's talk and testimony of the Book of Mormon and Jesus Christ. Our whole family was so moved by his conviction - I loved it!

Here is Jeff relaxing during conference.

We missed Saturday morning's address to go to a very touching funeral. The kid's voice teacher's 39 year old daughter, Heather, had passed away from the swine flu. She left her husband and 7 year old son. We went down to Fallbrook and attended the ceremony which was in their horse corral. It was probably the most unique funeral I've ever attended. We were all asked to wear jeans and boots. Heather showed horses and dogs (she has the #2 Bassett in the U.S.) and loved hard rock, so they had an animal parade and showed her animals during the funeral to the music of Billy Idol. We all clapped to the music and watched. They told all sorts of funny stories about Heather. Her son showed us a collage of his mommy and I couldn't stop crying. At the end of the funeral we all clapped to the tunes of ACDC.
(Side Note: Get your vaccines this year.)

After the funeral, the kids got to feed the horses and of course, the questions started coming. Now, if you have a daughter, then you know the question that I'm talking about... "Can I have a horse daddy?????" And daddy's answer is always the same, "If we move up to Utah and buy a cabin, then you can have a horse." End of discussion...

Sunday morning I thought I would try to make homemade cinnamon and orange rolls for the first time. The girls helped me make them all the while listening to Luke complaining that he didn't like orange rolls. I cut the cinnamon rolls very unevenly (see back tray) but I got the hang of it and I think the orange rolls looked quite spectacular!

The best part was that they all tasted great! As we were all digging into our rolls, (I made 40), I asked Luke mid-meal, "So you must like the orange rolls afterall, you are eating a second one now I see." Luke shook his head profusely and said, "No, this is my third one!" We all started laughing. Home run!

4 comments:

Alyssa Griffeth said...

Yum! They looked great! Way to go!

Mike and Shelby said...

Those rolls do look fabulous!

Elder Holland's talk was our favorite too. Such beautiful passion and an undeniable testimony. (And we often watch in our comfy jammies too)

I am so sorry to hear about the death of the voice teachers daughter. Being pregnant, I keep hearing conflicting advice on whether or not I should get the vaccine. The swine flu hit Utah so hard the first round that all the hospitals stopped running tests for it. This winter will be a scary one, I fear!

Fawn said...

So sad about the funeral. It is scary and hard to know what to do about the vaccine. The rolls looked great!!

Nicki said...

I'm very concerned that your friend died of the swine flu! I don't like hearing about this. One of Maggie's classmates is out of school right now with Swine flu and I don't know whether to be concerned or not!!

School Year Highlights!

School Year Highlights!
Drew's drama club went to NYC over the holidays!

Holly's Classical Voice Recital

Noel won Castille Elementary Student of the Year from the Kiwanis Club. She's here with Peter Vidmar - 2x Olympic Gold & 1x Olympic Silver Medal winner.

Church History Tour Easter Break

Church History Tour Easter Break
Palmyra - Joseph Smith's home where he grew up!

We went to Niagara Falls too!

The Angel Game!

The Angel Game!
We got on the big screen!