Wednesday, March 18, 2009

3-17-2009 Tuesday - St. Patty's Day Celebration!

St. Patrick's Day started for us the night before for Family Night. We had green gnocchi and green salad for dinner. I told the kids that I had caught a colony of Leprechauns dancing around our fire pit outside earlier that day so I cut off their heads and cooked their eyeballs for dinner! I had Luke going there for a minute! (You should have seen the expression on his face!)
Then I told them I was joking!
We read a St. Patty's story and did a little jig together too. Jeff's back was hurt, so he video taped us. Here it is...



Noel made a green St. Patty's cake for dessert. Delish!!!

Then we played the game, Chicken Soup for the Kid's Soul.
It was a cute night we all enjoyed!

The next morning we had the full blown green pancakes with turkey sausages. When I asked Noel to pour milk for everyone we all got a big surprise - GREEN MILK!!!

Here we are all ready in our green clothes - even Jeff had on his shamrock tie today!

Luke, Shera, and Noel made a trap to catch the Leprechaun the night before. After school that day we found chocolate gold coins inside and around the trap with gold dust! Then we started looking around the house and we saw the coins and gold dust all over in little nooks and cranies! The kids said that the Leprechauns were tricking us because of my joke the night before on them. But I said it's because they are trying to catch him! Well, they were now out to find the REAL pot of gold now!

Luke knows how much Leprechauns like fairies, so he disguised himself as a fairy and tried to lure the Leprechauns out so he could catch them in his trap! They spent the rest of the afternoon playing "Leprechaun Music" and running around the house searching for the pot of gold!

Later that evening, our nephew, Dane arrived to stay with us for a few days with 6 of his buddies from the University of Utah (we'll forgive him for that! BYU RULES!!!) and we had a huge St. Patrick's Day feast! We had corned beef, cabbage, red potatoes, green salad, green grapes, and green knotted egg bread for dinner. It was delicious and nothing was left - as you can imagine with 7 boys there!!!

Around bedtime, Noel went to put the puppies outside and she noticed some new gold dust behind the sofa! The kids began searching and behind the firewood bin - they found the Leprechauns pot of gold! Yeah!!!
Hope you all had a great St. Patty's Day too!!!

4 comments:

Alyssa Griffeth said...

What a fun way to celebrate! I need to remember all of your ideas for next year! Tell Dane I said HELLO!!!

Fawn said...

Where did you learn that lovely song??? You are so good to stay up with the blog. I can see how this is going to make an AWESOME book!

anna said...

These are great ideas for next year! You guys always do such a good job making holidays so kid-friendly and special.

I make my corned beef in the crock pot as well. I covered it with water and added a little apple cider vinegar, pepper, a bay leaf, garlic salt and an onion cut in half (we didn't eat the onion though). The cabbage was actually my favorite part this year. I melted 3 T. butter in a sauce pan. Then I added the cut-up cabbage and a couple Tablespoons of water. I let it sit and stirred it when necessary. It was really yummy.

I also loved the irish soda bread recipe I used. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Irish-Soda-Bread-with-Raisins-231580

It tasted more like a sugary raisin irish soda bread/cake. It was great.

The green dinner and dessert the night before is a great idea to start off the holiday.

You should post your Easter traditions before the holiday so I can add some new traditions this year :)

Mike and Shelby said...

the kids will have such great memories! I love the green milk! You outdid yourself.

poor leprechaun's eyes! ;)

School Year Highlights!

School Year Highlights!
Drew's drama club went to NYC over the holidays!

Holly's Classical Voice Recital

Noel won Castille Elementary Student of the Year from the Kiwanis Club. She's here with Peter Vidmar - 2x Olympic Gold & 1x Olympic Silver Medal winner.

Church History Tour Easter Break

Church History Tour Easter Break
Palmyra - Joseph Smith's home where he grew up!

We went to Niagara Falls too!

The Angel Game!

The Angel Game!
We got on the big screen!