Monday, August 9, 2010

8-7-2010 Saturday - Kid's Cooking School (Day 4)

We have had to make a little detour in our Kid's Summer Cooking School because I have been fighting a sinus infection. It has been very frustrating attempting to do this in the past week as I continue to get worse and worse. You have to have patience when you are teaching children to cook and be on top of your toes. You can't be sluggish - and then the perfect thing happened...

We got the fun surprise of our cousins coming to stay over Friday night. It was a nice break, but there was no way I was going to continue with them as well. I simply made some bruschetta and Jeff ordered pizza. No pictures I'm afraid... I only have so much patience when I'm sick and I had already hit my breaking point.

They all swam, watched movies, and stayed the night! Then the next day we all went to one of our favorite breakfast places - The Original Pancake House! They all went to the beach after (I went to bed at home though).

I so wanted to do this the right way, and me be the one teaching Luke and Shera, but I just couldn't. So, after the cousins left, I enlisted the help of Holly and Noel to do Saturday evening's cooking school. We jumbled things around to simplify - anyway, that's the beauty of having your own "at home restaurant" as the kids say - you don't have to stick with the plan!

So Here is Saturday Night's Menu:
Taught by Holly & Noel:
Turkey Parmigiana
Bruschetta
Rocky Road Fudge
Luke pounded the turkey flat!

Then they learned to dredge the meat in egg and seasoned bread crumbs.

They layered it in the pan and put on the sauce and cheese.

It looked and tasted really good!

Cutting the tomatoes for the bruschetta...

Mixing the basil and seasonings...

Toasting the bread... Yummy!!!

Prepping the Spanish Peanuts for the dessert...

They melted and mixed all the ingredients together.

Then they spooned the mixture into paper cups to let harden and then they were ready!

Holly and Noel were great teachers and Shera and Luke were great students and they all made a great dinner!!!

3 comments:

jenn said...

Carol, I am feeling your pain. I have a sinus infection as well! We had tickets to the circus on Saturday and I couldn't not go with my two kids ugh! Sinus pressure and headache and the circus, not a good combo! Are you on some good antibiotics at least? I'm starting to come out of it a bit. My kids are SO bored though, "Are you going to be sick forever Momma?" Feel better soon! Love, Jenn

Nicki said...

I've loved these cooking posts! So much fun for the kids, I bet!

Mike and Shelby said...

I am doing this for sure with my kids!

School Year Highlights!

School Year Highlights!
Drew's drama club went to NYC over the holidays!

Holly's Classical Voice Recital

Noel won Castille Elementary Student of the Year from the Kiwanis Club. She's here with Peter Vidmar - 2x Olympic Gold & 1x Olympic Silver Medal winner.

Church History Tour Easter Break

Church History Tour Easter Break
Palmyra - Joseph Smith's home where he grew up!

We went to Niagara Falls too!

The Angel Game!

The Angel Game!
We got on the big screen!